To some people skincare may sometimes seem a little superficial, but the truth is that beauty isn’t just buying the expensive products.
For me, feeling good about the way I look is boosting my confidence and the routine of applying skin care products to me classifies as self care.
But that being said, yes I am very much a skincare enthusiast. I always get compliments on my skin and I’ll admit, I have good skin. However, to say I have an elaborate skincare routine would be a massive understatement.
I love talking skincare and I’m going to go pretty in detail about my morning skincare routine. I am very serious about the products I put on my face but I’ve tried and retired a LOT of formulas to find what works best for me and the frequency with which to use them.
Before we hop into the products that are currently sitting on my bathroom shelf let me say few important things.
Skin care is not a luxury but it can get a bit pricey. However, Clean and Clear products won’t cut it for me anymore. I’ve tried lots of products over the years and I still try lots, so if you have any questions/need recommendations please slide into my dm’s on Insta because that will make my day.
My skin is, well I don’t really know what my skin classifies as because every time the season changes so does my skin. But it’s a always gravitating towards being v sensitive, like it’s owner. I’ve had hell with it, but also was that girl who could get away with using Neutrogena grapefruit wash and blue Nivea cream (can we go back to that???)
Naturally, during colder months my skin gets a bit dry but also a bit pale and dull due lack of sun. I don’t get too many breakouts unless my period is on her way, but I do have blackheads on my nose which I try and get removed with facials.
I drink minimum of 2L water/ day. Plus green tea (and freshly pressed juices if there’s time)
I get at least 7-8 hours of sleep, 8-10 on the weekend!
I change my pillowcases and face towel once a week!
I never, ever, EVER sleep with my makeup on (happened maybe twice in a lifetime and it still hunts me)
Every single product below has been used for at least 4 weeks and I use them on daily basis (and few listed I reach for weekly, monthly, or for spot treatment). Whatever I used on my face I also bring down to my neck and chest and sometimes on my hands as well.
I’m after a very glowy and healthy looking skin. All this products work for me and I swear by every single one but if you have serious skin condition or you’re not sure about whether to use or not use something please ask a professional.
Here’s all the details on my current morning skincare routine. It’s going to look very complicated and long but I swear it takes no more than 5 minutes.
*This post contains affiliate links
5am: wake up! I roll out of bed whilst complaining about watching an extra episode of Friends rather than fall asleep earlier.
I brush my teeth, scrape my tongue and wash my face with ICE COLD WATER. To wake myself up, but also to reduce puffiness two bowls of pasta for dinner caused.
Now this might seem controversial, but I don’t wash my face with cleanser in the morning. I was advised by my dermatologist not to because it just removes the healthy layer of skin and it causes dryness. I double-cleanse in the evening and honestly that removes all impurities so I’m good. BUT if I do wake up incredibly oily after a cray-zay night out or if I work out in the morning I will wash it with my second cleanser, Glossier Milky Jelly cleanser.
But here’s what goes on n e x t
- Toner! This Cowshed refreshing toner is so good and just works great in the morning. Lavender has powerful antiseptic properties, while Chamomile soothes the skin. I spray it on the pad and swipe it across my face and neck. It removes surface impurities and prepares skin for the rest of my routine.
- Vitamin C Serum! Drunk Elephant Firma Day Serum. OHMYGOD. This particular serum is packed with antioxidants and essential nutrients for my skin. So, it’s basically great for anti-aging, breakouts, and helps give with skin that “glow” we all want! It’s v pricey, BUT HELLO MAMA I’M A GLOW GETTER. The very sleek packaging if I might say, says one drop is enough for all of the face and neck but it’s texture is very gluey so I apply three drops directly on my face, one of each cheeks and the forehead.
- Hyaluronic Acid Serum. The Ordinary’s Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 delivers lasting hydration and offers visible plumping and moisture retention so that skin looks smoother, softer and healthier. Few drops on my hands to put all over my face and neck to give me that extra hydration. This might be one of the reasons I never look tired but let it be our secret, ok?
- Face Oil. Khiel’s Daily Reviving Concentrate. I just can’t get enough of this. I put three drops on my face and gently spread around it in with my finger tips. Which is followed by GUA SHA facial massage tool to properly massage it in and de-puff my face. Honestly I have no fucking clue if I’m doing it correctly because the amount of different ways showed in videos I watched on YouTube is just so overwhelming but two months in and I can genuinely see results. Face oil absorbs extremely quickly, makes me look very radiant and awake. Much happy with it.
- Face moisturizer. My all time favourite Origins GinZing Gel moisturizer that wakes up my dull, tired skin. I apply it all over my skin, neck and chest and I feel fully recharged. It’s main ingredient: COFFEE. Smells like heaven. Does wonders.
- Eye cream. QI ENERGY™ Ginseng root & ginger brightening eye fix. Fights under eye puff, hydrates and soothes I mean, YAS. I take a generous amount and gently tap in under my eyes, but also on my cheekbones and above brows (just like a highlighter) and on my eyelids. My tired eyes love it.
- Lip Balm. Glossier Balm Dotcom because we mustn’t forget the LIPS.
In the winter months, mid Oct-mid March I don’t apply SPF if I’m putting on my foundation because there’s spf in it. However when I’m going make up free, which is quite often lately I use Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer Physical Daily Defence SPF 30. It’s perfect for daily use as this non-sticky formula doesn’t leave behind any unwanted texture or residue with zero white cast. Doesn’t break me out. And most importantly my face, neck and chest are protected.
Once a week, usually Sundays I do a mini pamper routine which includes
A scrub. I’m using Kate Somerville ExfoliKate® Intensive. I like to use it in the shower because the steam helps open pores for a deeper clean, which is actually the tip I got from a lady who works there. It’s green and yes I look like Shrek when I apply it but it washes away my week and mistakes and leaves me with the smoothest skin reflecting my prettiest day time princess Fiona.
A face mask. There is not such a thing a good chilly sheet mask can’t fix. I do it once a week, usually on Sunday. For better effect I keep it in the fridge 30 minutes before and it genuinely makes all the difference. There is no brand I use all the time but my current favourites: Soap & Glory Speed Plump Miracle Moisture Mask, The Dr. Jart+ Dermask Rubber Mask Moist Lover & Garnier Fresh Mix Face Sheet Shot Mask with Vitamin C.
If I break out
Dots for Spots® Original Acne Absorbing Patches are my saving grace. They are disgusting yes, but let me tell you how it works. You pop it on your spot and leave it for minimum of six hours or simply overnight. No one will ever know it’s on, OK? After a while you’ll see the translucent centre has turned opaque white. You peel if off and voila, NO SPOT anymore.
I try to get facial once a month but with this crazy busy life I probably go once every 2-3 months.
I told y’all a information overload is coming but I promise, the routine is way more simpler when you’re doing it vs writing it! I just wanted to explain what each product does and why I like it.
If you’re struggling to know where to start with a skincare routine browse the Net or watch the Tube, there is plenty of advice based on your skincare type out there. I’m also here if ya need anythang babe!!!
ps. Give it at least 4-6 weeks to see the changes 🙂